We enjoy a technical challenge at AJS Labels. When global company, Unilever, approached us with an advanced self-adhesive label design for its new miracle hair concentrate, we took up the challenge.
Unilever wanted an advanced 2 ply, foiled peel & read self-adhesive label to give their new product an expensive feel. Our production and technical teams worked together to find the solution.
It would require three precise print passes through two different presses
- 1x Mark Andy with peel & read gizmo
- 2x Gallus RCS with exceptional print & cold foiling capability
The technical team carried out extensive trials to ensure
- The self-adhesive label would transfer to a second press and re-register on the specially formulated registration marks
- The material tension would be stable once folded on the Mark Andy
- The glitter varnish to be used on the label, matched perfectly that on the container
The Mark Andy production
- A 2 ply peel & read self-adhesive label was printed on our Mark Andy using flexo blue and quick release varnish.
- Black registration marks were incorporated down each side of the design to ensure perfect registration once the label was moved.
- The uncut web was then moved to our Gallus RCS.
The RCS production
- Silver cold foil was applied to the fine design and logo.
- A blue 2767 was carefully printed on top.
- The operator precisely added a tiny red triangle to the logo.
- Because our cold foil station is positioned at the end of the press with just 2 units following, the label had to be put through the RCS a second time.
- Yellow 135 followed by orange 137 were printed on top of the cold foil design. Registration was very difficult on top of the intricate foil.
- This was finished with fine gold text and further print on the design work.
- Great skill was needed with the white silk screen work, especially with the word ‘Alberto’ on the logo. This was the third press pass and the third layer of printing – tight registration was vital.
- A pearlised pattern varnish was finally applied around the foiled work.
The finished self-adhesive label looked very impressive with fine screen and cold foil work on top of a 2 ply peel & read label. It was applied to the product with great results giving the VO5 Miracle Concentrate a special, indulgent feel.
The technical and production teams at AJS Labels are happy to take up any self-adhesive label challenge that you’d care to throw at them – so give it a go!