The Body Shop International - Love Range
- To produce labels for the Body Shop’s new range of labels, designed to have maximum impact in-store with a dynamic multi-coloured base label and a 3 ply peel & read (p&r) back panel to cut down on the number of variants in the range.
- The number of colours – a combination of a 10-colour base label with three varnishes and silicone, and a three colour p&r label with varnish and silicone.
- Colour matching the self-adhesive label to the litho printed box. A particular challenge was the gold, which required a mixture of silver, gold and rubine red to formulate metallic ink.
- The base label was printed on the state-of-the-art, servo-driven machinery with the ability to multi-pass. On the first pass, eight flexo colours were printed using specific inks to match individual pantone colours. On the second pass a matt varnish was laid down to give maximum contrast between the backing and the hearts, followed by dark and light pink screen inks for the majority of the text.
Many of the smaller hearts had a gloss varnish printed on them, while selected larger hearts were printed with a tactile screen varnish to give the label a touchable quality. The operator needed to put just the right amount of varnish down to create a smooth finish and avoid uneven pin-holing.
Finally a silicone release varnish laid down in preparation for the p&r application.
The difficulty in registering the three invisible varnishes made this second pass particularly technically demanding.
- The p&r label was printed on a separate press with the ability to slit and fold a single web of substrate to create a multilayered label.
- The p&r label was applied on the base label using a rewind machine with attached applicator.
- Base: 9 flexo + 1 silk screen + 2 flexo varnishes + 1 silkscreen varnish + silicone
- P&R: 3 flexo + 1 flexo varnish + 1 silicone
View all Case Studies
- Disney - TinkerBell and the Secret of the Wings
- Life Water - Mineral Water 750ml
- BBC "The Apprentice" Modern Gentleman range, episode 12, series 8
- The Body Shop International - Love Range
- Akzo Nobel - Dulux Project
- Paramount - Family Stars
- Bell's Healthcare
- Soprodal - KV Reinigingmelk Range
- Paramount - Club Cinema
- RPC Blackburn - Wilko Timbercare label